Here are the ten names I’m most excited about breaking down film on for the coming 2013 NFL Draft, and how I rank them on what I’ve seen thus far.
1. Tyler Wilson (Arkansas) Bobby Petrino coached quarterbacks haven’t fared particularly well in the NFL, but Wilson has all the tools most of them didn’t. He’s tough, elevates the talent around him, and a fantastic leader.
2. Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech) Riding the Cam Newton hype train, Thomas needs to make major strides as a passer this season, but could be the top QB selected if he does.
3. Matt Barkley (USC) While most everyone has Barkley number one, what I’ve seen on film is a guy who is carried by the talent around him like previous USC QBs Sanchez and Leinart.
4. Geno Smith (West Virginia) Air Raid QB with a lot of upside. Has good ball velocity, and mobility, potential 2nd rounder.
5. Tyler Bray (Tennessee) Bray has the height you look for, and the arm. Needs to put weight on and play consistently and injury free.
6. Aaron Murray (Georgia) Mobile guy, who will make mistakes, but has looked solid at a minimum. Height an issue.
7. Landry Jones (Oklahoma) Oklahoma system guy, who lacks the intangibles to be a franchise guy at the next level.
8. Keith Price (Washington) Has looked good replacing Locker, Sarkasian needs him to take the next step this season.
9. E.J. Manuel (Florida State) Has done a more than adequate job replacing Ponder, mobile guy with decent arm strength.
10. Ryan Aplin (Arkansas State) Sleeper, Aaron Murray clone. Has good ball velocity, mobile guy, height an issue.